During the cold winter months, your septic system may be at substantial risk for damage from inclement weather patterns. There are a number of hazards that your home’s or business’ sewage system may face as temperatures drop below freezing. In Minnesota’s infamously frigid climate, it’s extremely important for homeowners and business operators to protect their septic systems from the elements. Procuring professional septic service in Mora, MN is the best way to ensure that your home’s septic system is ready for the dead of the winter months.
Asking for professional assistance with your home’s or business’ septic system is the best way to make sure that it doesn’t suffer any damage during the winter. There are, however, several steps that you can take proactively to prevent septic system damage. Here are just a few ways that you can keep your home’s septic system running smoothly for the duration of the winter:
- Snow protection: No element of your septic system should ever come directly into contact with snow. Your home’s septic system needs anaerobic bacteria to operate as intended, and if the temperatures are too low, the bacteria may die off, resulting in a dysfunctional septic system.
- Avoid soil compaction: If you routinely drive vehicles or pieces of heavy machinery over the areas where your septic system is located, you may be unintentionally compacting the soil surrounding your home’s plumbing. Compacted soil doesn’t insulate your system as well, which may result in pipe freezing.
- Keep your system active: A problem frequently associated with cabins or temporarily vacated homes is that septic systems can freeze over due to disuse. If you are planning on not using your home’s plumbing for an extended period of time, you should consult with a septic professional.
- Plant vegetation: Vegetation can provide valuable insulation during the winter months. Vegetation will insulate your home’s septic system, and will also help to stave off snow during high precipitation events. You should consider consulting with septic professionals during the spring planting season.
- Make sure cold air can’t enter: If cold air enters your septic system, it can cause your septic system to freeze, or kill the anaerobic bacteria that helps break down your sewage. You should close the septic cap, and make sure that there are no parts of the system that are inappropriately exposed.
A & A Septic Service LLC has been providing high-quality septic service in Mora, MN since 2004. You can count on us to provide you with a wide range of sewer and septic services. We are proud to offer our clients some of the most comprehensive sewer and septic cleaning and maintenance services available. We also offer emergency services, if your home is already experiencing a septic problem.
A & A Septic Service LLC is proud to serve both residential and commercial customers. We also offer ecologically conscious services, and we are Minnesota Pollution Control Certified. To learn more about our extensive service offerings, you should reach out to one of our friendly representatives today!
Categorised in: Septic Service